I imagine that how I feel as a Kiwi watching American football is like how an alien would feel after landing on an unfamiliar planet. Completely out of our element. However, I preserved and watched the Super Bowl. Here are some enlightening thoughts I had:
1. Butt-touching is quite acceptable. In fact, it is used as encouragement when a player makes a successful play. Go team!
2. If you don’t know what team to root for, support the team that is winning/has the cooler uniform/best looking players. Go Patriots!
3. My god Quarterbacks can throw long distances!
4. Katy Perry is a queen. KP 1 – 0 world
5. I really need to learn the rules of football
6. There are a lot of players on the football field. To be exact, there are 22 players. There’s a chance I searched Google for this fact.
7. My life goal will not be achieved until I become a mascot for a football team.
8. To impress your friends and family of your ‘knowledge’ of the sport, when watching a game, just repeat what the commentators say (but mixing it up in a way to make yourself not sound like a parrot).
9. Left Shark is my spirit animal
By the time the Super Bowl rolls around next year, I hope to have a greater understanding of football. At least, I hope I meet someone who can teach me the rules.